Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Our 5 Year Old

Gavin was so excited to turn 5. The other day he asked me, "How do I turn 5? Is it magic?" He didn't quite understand how one day you're 4 and the next you're 5. Today we did family stuff. His friend party isn't till next Tuesday. That's what happens when you share your birthday with a day like New Years Eve. Poor kid! We had a great day together though.

It's our tradition that on your birthday you get what ever you want for breakfast. Gavin choose chocolate chip pancakes with powdered sugar and pink milk. Pretty healthy, huh mom?



Steve and I with our favorite boy! You can say that when you only have one.



We told Gavin we could do what ever he wanted today, so bowling it was. It was so fun to watch him try to hurl that heavy ball down the lane and then we'd all watch as it crept slowly towards the pins. And for the record Steve and I tied 159 to 159, so what if I was using bumpers.

Gavin got a snowboard for his birthday. He couldn't wait to try it out, so Steve took him in the back yard to show him the ropes. He actually did a really good for his first time. It was icy snow and he fell a few times, but he seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly.




I don't know why I filmed this sideways and I don't know how to fix it. So turn your head to the side and check out our budding pro. Sundance has a hill that you can board on for free when you're learning. So Steve plans on taking Gavin up there as much as he can.


I made him a cake to take to our New Years Eve party, so everyone could sing happy birthday to him there. He kept asking when we were going to HIS party. I guess that's one benefit of sharing your birthday with New Years Eve, theirs always a party.


Some pictures of my little chunk the first 6 months of his life. Gavin's first year he was in 90 to 95th percentile for both height and weight. But as soon as he started walking the chubs went away. We haven't seemed to have that problem with his height though. He keeps growing like a weed.

I feel so blessed to have this amazing child in my life. I don't know how I got so lucky. He has such a sweet spirit. He's so loving and caring with his family and friends. When he says his prayers at night he blesses everyone he can think of, from his family to his friends and even his friends parents. I feel like these 5 years have gone way too fast. I love watching him grow and learn new things, but at the same time I wish it would all slow down. I just need to hold on to my little boy a while longer.

Some of his favorite things this year:
*Wall-e-He loves everything Wall-e. He has the Wall-e voice down and he'll correct you if you try to say it, because your not doing it right of course.
*Iron Man-Remember my post after Halloween about him wearing his Iron man costume everyday? Well it not quite that bad anymore. He's down to about every other day.
*Playing with friends-He think he needs a friends to play with from the minute he wakes up till he goes to bed.
*Playing in his imagination-His imagination play can get pretty intense and involved. And don't even think of interrupting him.
*Wii and Wii Fit-This is only since Christmas, but he loves it.

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Happy birthday cute Gavin!! I'm so happy for him that he is 5! 5 is a huge milestone...I remember how excited Jace was to turn 5! Love the snowboard...I can't believe how well he did that!

So do you guys like Wii fit? I'm thinking maybe we should get that!

Lisa said...

Um, isn't that what he has for breakfast everyday? : )

Dale and Tabitha said...

Happy Birthday Gavin. Lincoln loves singing Happy Birthday to Gavin. It's adorable. We are excited for your birthday.

(By the way Arah, you look super skinny in the picture of you and Gavin under the Bfast pic. It must be the tonsils...maybe I will try it after the baby is born)

Updates From The Outback said...

Those six month picures are so cute. Tell him he is already quite a snowboarder.
You are very blessed to have the son you have. And he is equally blessed to have the parents he has.