Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Must Read???

It’s been a long standing rule of mine to not read any of Oprah's book club choices. She always chooses books that make you want to slit your wrists. But evidently Steve was unaware of this rule and bought me The Pillars of the Earth for Christmas. Now I (being the book lover that I am) couldn't let a perfectly good book just sit there ignored and unread. I mean how bad could it be? The back cover read "Wonderful...will fascinate you, surround you." So I read it. And I have decided to go back to my rule of NEVER reading a book from Oprah's book club. Don't get me wrong, they were right this novel definitely surrounds you. But I’m the type of person who gets consumed by the books I read. And while I’m reading them I feel like I’m living it. This is not a book you want to get lost in. I know what you’re thinking… Why not just stop? Well another problem I have is once I’ve started a book and get sucked in I CAN”T stop. I had to know how it ended. I had to see if everything worked out. I had to see if in the end the good guys won. So what did I do? I just walked a round for a couple days frustrated, gloomy and depressed. What is my point you ask. Great book! I just DON'T recommend it unless you don’t mind feeling that way. And I would definitely wait till spring or summer. Winter is depressing enough.

P.S. Since I just complained about one of Steve’s Christmas gifts, I must tell you that one of my favorite gifts was a reading light he gave me. I think it was just as much for him as it was for me, so that he doesn’t have to have the lamp shining in his eyes every night. Love it!!

P.S.S Any recommendations for a good, light, happy read?

7 comments:

Autumn said...

I have the exact same problem with having to finish a book...even if I'm hating it. Thanks for the tip..I do not need anything else on top of the yucky gloomy weather to bring me down! Someone on Jennys blog mentioned some books that were similar to Twlight I think I'm going to check out.--Bryan would be so happy if I got a reading lamp so he wasn't kept up with the light on every night..I'll have to look into it. :)

Updates From The Outback said...

Ever try Louis L'Amour?

Lisa said...

Amen, Oprah's books may be a little deeper than some, but who wants to read about pain all the time! Give me a happy read any day!

mmclarkfam said...

I am so very much the same way! I have some good ones for you.

sladefamilyaz said...

I feel the same way about the Oprah books. Thanks for the warning I'll stay away from this one too. The reading lamp was such thoughtful gift from Steve. I'm impressed Steve. Bryant suggests reading the Book of Mormon!

Jana said...

I have made the same rule for myself. In fact, I don't really even like watching her show. At all. And I am the queen of light and easy reads. I have a list! :) Have you read Shannon Hale's books? They are easy and just fun. Nothing deep. I am reading the Count of Monte Cristo and I love it!!! I am sure you have read it. :) These Is My Words in next on my list. Have you read that? And I got those suits at TJMax. A friend of mine found them and called me and I told her get them and send them.

Julee said...

crap just baught that book. It came today. Whish I would have read that sooner.