Sunday, August 3, 2008

So One Sided!

I always heard parents talk about their love for their children and thought I understood it. It turns out I didn't have the slightest comprehension of parents love for a child until I had one of my own. And I think its really unfair how one sided that love is. Don't get me wrong, I know that Gavin loves me, but I think it pales in comparison to my love for him. You're probably wondering where this rant is coming from, well let me explain.

Gavin left me Wednesday morning with my sister Julee to go visit my other sister Lisa in Michigan. I'm going to share a few of the conversations we've had that are giving me this complex.

First-The day before he left we were cuddling on my bed and talking about his trip. I was giving him lots of hugs and kisses telling him how much I was going to miss him while he was gone when I asked him if he was going to miss me he said, "Ya, and when I there can me and Keely go to Jungle Java and ......" He just kept rambling on about all the fun things he was going to do when he got there.

Second-When I was dropping him off at the airport and again smothering him with hugs and kisses he says, "K, mom I have to get on the airplane now." And just like that he was off while I on the other hand started crying as soon as I got back in my car.

Third-One of the times I actually got him to talk to me on the phone I guess I'd interrupted an important meal because he said, "Mom I have to go. I don't want my turkey sandwich to go to waist." And this coming from the mouth of the boy I have to force to eat anything. I guess I should be happy he actually talked to me that time. Most if the other times I called he said, "No!" whenever Lisa asked him if he wanted to talk to me. Where the love?

But in all seriousness I'm very happy he feels confident and independent enough to leave us for a week without feeling sad. I'm also very thankful for sisters and a brother in law who love him and take care of him as if he were their own. He's having the time of his life with his best friend Keely and his aunts and uncle spoiling him like crazy. Steve and I have even managed to have a little fun with out him. He keeps telling people we're falling in love all over and again. And I keep asking, "What do you mean again?" Just kidding babe! It's been great to have all this time together, but I think we're both more than ready to have our boy back.

10 comments:

Rochelle said...

I feel ya! He won't come home being all sweet and angelic because he misses you either, so br prepared for that one too!

Autumn said...

You're so brave! I can't believe you let him go without you! I bet you and Steve are having a great time. Cute picture!

Unknown said...

I am always so glad to send my kids away and then about 2 hours later I want them back. But it is nice to remember what it is like to be alone with our husbands, Right?

sladefamilyaz said...

Have some fun alone time! When Bryant and I went on the cruise in October, I turned to him when we got on the boat and said, "It's like we're going on a four day date!". But we missed the kids so bad after a couple of days, we could hardly stand it. When do y'all start school? We are starting Wednesday. How's your basement clean up coming along?

Jana said...

I would love to send my kids off for a few days. Maybe a week or two. Let's be honest!!! And I fully accept that they would be happier without me around. No rules and no forcing to eat good food.

Lisa said...

All right, he's on his way home!!!

Thanks for loaning him to us for a week, we had a blast!

Laraine H. said...

How fun that you have such a great family to be able to let Gavin go and not have to worry....of course it's hard to have them gone for longer than a day or two. I think the one-sidedness happens. No kid will ever know how much a parent loves them.

Updates From The Outback said...

His confidence and independence when he’s not with his parents shows his confidence in and love for his parents. I know it sounds strange, but think about it and you'll figure out what I mean.
Over the years, your love will grow and change as he changes. It evolves into a love and relationship like we have with you ----and that's just great.

Sonja said...

I'm always a little sad, but mostly happy when Ty doesn't seem to miss me. It actually makes it easier on me to be gone knowing he's just fine without me, but I would like a little love now and then!

Good job on raising an independent little one! I'm excited for him to be back home with you and hear all about his fun vacation!

Tanya said...

Wow, I can't even imagine no kids for a few hours! I would miss them though. HOpe you enjoyed your 2nd honeymoon.