Sunday, August 17, 2008

What ball?

Gavin had his 1st soccer practice Thursday and his 1st game yesterday. Before soccer practice Steve and Gavin had a big talk on how he needs listen to his coach and do whatever he says. So during practice the kids we running a drill where they had to kick the ball back and forth between a line of cones and once they got to the end they were suppose to kick the ball as hard as they could to the coach. So Gavin gets to the end of the line and coach Callister yells, "Okay, Gavin give me a good kick!" What does Gavin do? He runs towards his coach to give him a good kick. Hey he was just doing what his coach asked, right? It was hilarious!

The Game was pretty fun to watch. We have to remind ourselves that our funny boy is just learning. He mostly just ran up and down the field with the mob of kids and was pretty unaware that a ball was involved. It was lots of fun to watch though. The age group for his team is kindergarten and 1st graders, so technically Gavin isn't suppose to be on the team, but the Callisters' were nice enough to let him sneak on. His team got worked, but they were playing against a team of ginormous 1st graders. Gavin didn't seem to notice though. When people ask him is he won he tell them yes. I guess at that age we're all winners.

Our little winner

Almost looks like he's heading for the ball, huh? Nope just running ;-)

Thumbs Up!

He got pretty worn out. They only had one sub so Gavin kept trying to take his own time outs.

11 comments:

Autumn said...

What a cutie! Love that he was going to kick his coach..obviously the guy doesn't know that the kid knows karate! :) BTW..you going back? You guys are playing Saratoga Springs ball? How come?

Jen said...

Haha, that's hilarious! What an obedient boy! I bet Coach Callister learned his lesson to be more specific! ;)

Julee said...

I love it. What was the coaches reaction? He looks so cute in his uniform

Lisa said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there for his first game...and to take delight in seeing him so oblivious. I love that kid!

Rochelle said...

So where was the ball? I neverdid see it in any of the pictures! If the coach told me to give him a good kick I'd do it too in fear I'd lose my chance to kick something!

LOL!

Jana said...

I bet it was so fun to watch him do that. I need to sign Jackson up for soccer. He just seems like he would have no clue what to do. Unless it involved racing cars. :)

Melissa said...

That is just hilarious. I wish I could have seen it.

Unknown said...

Love it!! How great is that he ran to kick his coach. If his coach would've known that he may not have snuck him on the team ;) What a cutie!

Jamie said...

Sound like Nathan's game last week. Poor kids!

Updates From The Outback said...

I love that story. That's a lot like Jared when he started out. Now he's quite the athlete. It's great that they can start young and without a bunch of pressure.

The Stringham's said...

Hey-once he finally gets the whole game of soccer, he could possibly be the next Beckham...because he's so DARN CUTE!!! :) He can be you & Steve's "Meal Ticket", Deb! That would be SWEET!! Haha totally kidding