Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Where's The Love??

Today I was a little later than usual picking Gavin up from school. I'm suppose to pick him up between 3:00 and 3:15 and I got there right at 3:00, but the line of cars was so long that they didn't actually bring him to my car until 3:09. I usually try to get there a little early so I'm one of the first in line and he's one of the first kids picked up. Well, when he got in the car this was our conversation.

Me: "Hey buddy, how was your day?"
Gavin: "I almost cried TWICE because I didn't think you were coming to get me."
Me: "I'm sorry! I know I was a little late, but no matter what I will always come and get you."
Gavin: "But momma, what if you drop me of at school and then go home and die!"
Me: "I'm not going to die Gavin! But don't worry if anything ever happens to me, daddy or uncle Mike will come get you."
Gavin: "Oh! okay."

Now before you go saying, "Oh, how sad!" just know this conversation was not at all about his concern for me. No, no, no! As soon as it was explained to him that no matter what he would alway be picked up (even if his poor mom died) he was completely satisfied. Come on now! Where's the love?? But I must say he redeemed himself tonight when he asked me to show him how many finger he needed to be, to be "All Grown Up". I showed him eighteen using both his fingers and mine and we had this conversation.

Me: "Are you trying to grow up too fast?"
Gavin: "No mommy, I just want to see how many."
Me: "You'll probably be 18 when you leave me :-("
Gavin: "I'll miss you!" (Hugs)
Me: "I'll miss you too!!!"
Gavin: " Don't worry mom, I'll come see you all the time when I'm at college."

Now you have it! I've got it in writing and can hold him to it when he really is grown up :-( I just can't believe how fast it's all going. I know I say this all the time, but it really doesn't seem like that long ago that he was just a chubby little baby and now his talking about college. How do I make this all slow down???

12 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

I forgot what a chub he was. He is such a cutie. And by the way, I can't tell you how many times my mom forgot to pick me up from whatever after school activity I was attending, but I haven't held a grudge. All though I do like to hang it over her head for fun sometimes...

KerrieLeigh said...

He was such a cute baby! That is a great story to remember. (both of them)

Unknown said...

I was almost to cry reading that story. I think about how fast my kids are growing up everyday. He really was a cute bady.

Autumn said...

He is such a sweetie! That story makes me laugh..since you were just saying how the clock in your car is fast anyway! :) Here's to hoping you live a long life..but if not..call me and I'll pick him up!! :)

sladefamilyaz said...

What a funny kid!

Lauren said...

What a cute story! He seems like such a great boy. You're lucky. I am constantly butting heads with Gracee, so our sweet moments are few and far between...

Updates From The Outback said...

Have you heard the Country Western song called "Don't Blink?" That's very good advice. Enjoy every moment and continue to preserve it the way you do with pictures and blogs. It's so hard for me to imagine where all the years have gone. But I am so grateful for the wonderful memories I have.

Jamie said...

That is so sweet! Don't you just love little boys!?!

Jana said...

How do all our moms forget us?!! I swore I would never forget picking my kids up. It has scared me ever since it happened to me. :) But I know my time is coming. I know what you mean about it all going so fast. Crazy to think that we have school age kids. CRAZY! I still think I am hot stuff going to the mall. . . with my huge stroller and messy kids. I need to face reality.

Unknown said...

That is the cutest story ever. It's sad that our children grow up so fast. We have to savor the moment, because that's all it is, is a moment of their life. We only get them for just a blink of their lifetime :( I just want them to stay small forever. What a cute kid Gavin is!!

Lisa said...

I love the little chunker picture. Gavin's going to have a hard time when he has to share you!

Sonja said...

Arah I loved reading this and I'm so glad you wrote it down. I look forward to those conversations with Ty when he's old enough to talk to me! If you figure out how to make it all slow down will you let me know?

What an amazing and really cute little man you have there!